Subject: RE: [Leica] 35 mm RF lens test result
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 23:25:30 +0200

A few answers and clarifications

David asked:

Are the subject lenses all the latest Asph lenses?

All lenses tested are latest versions, ASPH for Leica and the Ultron.
If the rest have aspherical elements, that I do not know

John Straus commented:

Sounds surprising. For how often I hear the Lux get complained about for
it's old design etc it would still take 2nd for quality...? Odd...
- --
John Straus
Chicago, IL

It was not about quality, it was about price/quality relationship. As
both Lux and Cron were of the highest quality, obviously the Cron
would win the price/quality contest

B D Colen wrote

Well, there are two possibilities here - either they were testing the
LuxASPH, or the test isn't worth a damn....and I have to say that the
test sounds pretty poor anyway, as no 35 1.4 at 1.4 is going to do as
well as a 35 2 at f2...or were they only comparing the lenses from f 2
onward. If that's the case, it's still a foolish test, because if you
buy a 35 1.4 you - hopefully - buy it because you need the speed. So
whether it performs quite as well at slower speeds as slower lenses
becomes somewhat irrelivant.

This is just what they said, buy a Lux only if you need the extra
speed ( and have the cash), otherwise get the Cron. The graph shows
that both lenses have the same resolution when they are fully open
(Lux at 1,4 and Cron at 2.0). As resolution initially gets better
when you close down, the Lux has a better resolution at 2.0 than Cron
has at 2.0, but at 4.0 the two lenses are pretty close. The Lux has a
little bit of distortion, but the Cron has none. The Lux showed very
important vignetting at 1,4 but negliable (spelling?) at 4.0  For
Cron it was visible at 2.0 and negliable at 4.0.

... and don't forget one is smaller than the other. But the pre-Asph
is still smaller......