Subject: Re: [Leica] So you want a new Leica M series Body?
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:14:42 -0700

on 8/11/02 6:40 PM, David Rodgers at davrod@worldnet.att.net thoughtfully
wrote:

> I always thought having RGB sensors was a waste for shooting b/w. Three
> sensors when one would do, and all. But I've obtained some interesting
> results tweaking separate RGB channels for a final greyscale. It's like
> adding filtration after the fact. I wonder how a camera designed for
> monochrome will work. Will it require filters or can filtration be dialed
> in? I use filters a lot in b/w.
> The camera looks interesting.

I'd imagine that since the CCD gives up color sensing for luminance that
you'd have to do optical filtering. Without color information it would be
difficult to process after the fact.

I'd imagine that the gain over a color CCD would be a somewhat greater pixel
density and/or better signal/noise ratio if the individual cells are a bit
larger than those in the color CCD's cells. I think I'd go for larger cells
to catch more light - better sensitivity.

Adam