Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital B&W
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 21:40:30 -0400

> > Digital camera b/w looks too chromogenic...
> That's for obvious reasons. My HP printer renders B&W by using a mix of
> colors. I assume that digital cameras operate the same way.
> Digital cameras
> carry us away at first. Then the light dawns.

You can print B&W images using B&W inks...or even a single black ink, but
with the single black ink, you don't get a very good print.  There are quite
a few ink sets available for various Epson printers, and the results, are in
fact, better than you can typically get in a chemical B&W printing
process...as the tonality can be better controlled, as well as the
resolution is typically higher.

Now, I'm not saying that printing on a good B&W printer isn't going to stop
the digital B&W images from looking "bad" ;-)  I believe you're better off
scanning B&W film...

Regards,

Austin