Subject: RE: [Leica] So you want a new Leica M series Body?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:38:27 -0400

This has been an exciting time, alright! Between the digital revolution and
the release of the 1972 M7, M6 and M6TTL resale values are hovering just
above the water in the toilet. It's great for anyone who wants to buy a used
M6 of any variety, but it's hell for anyone who wants to sell - and what
ever happened to the old saw about Leicas being such a super-duper
investment? The new M6 TTL purchased for $1995 five years ago, with dollars
from five years ago, is worth how much in today's market? $1150? (If you're
really lucky!) Or 57% of its purchase price without accounting for
inflation's impact on the dollar. Well, a Nikon F100 purchased for, say,
$999, is worth at least $600 - or 60% of its purchase price.

None of this says anything about the intrinsic worth of the cameras, but I'm
afraid it does tell you something about the monetary value of our equipment,
which suggests that, beyond the LUG, there is declining interest in Leica
Ms.

B. D.