Subject: [Leica] Crop circles - was Newsflash! Incoming Pic
From: Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:37:34 -0400

Stuart:

You're closer to the truth than you think, as for as the Police are
concerned.

Last Autumn, a few weeks after September 11th I took a few "vacation
mornings" to carry the 11x14 and required other stuff over to Horn Pond
to shoot some chromes of a swamp maple. (I also brought the R8 with 19mm
lens, on topic sorta).

The first morning I attracted a lot of folks who wanted to know what I
was doing.  I invited them to look under the black cloth to see for
themselves.  You probably can guess the rest:

"I can't see anything!"

"Why do you bother with this, my Nikon is better and it has a meter in
it already?"

"Something is wrong, it's upside down!" and

"I don't get it, is this some kind of television?"

One woman looked under the cloth, made a grunting sound and walked away,
more on her later.

One man in his late 60s and was named Jerry. He was a lot more
interested and asked me about the big filmholders, the lightmeter, etc.

A week or so later I was in the same spot trying again for the same shot
as I had ruined the first when trying to process it in a print drum in
the kitchen sink... hard to keep the correct temperature.

Jerry came by and told me that a woman had written a "Letter to the
Editor" to the Woburn newspaper asking if anyone had checked out that
man with the big camera to see if he might be taking pictures of the
pond to find places to drop POISON. Jerry went on to tell me that he had
TAKEN CARE of things for me.  He had called the police and told them
that he had met me and had visited my web site and that I was "legit."

When I later dropped by the police station myself, the two in the office
at first pretended that things had become serious for me but then
happened to look at each other and started laughing. They allowed that
they had no idea of the identity of the grunting woman... my first pick
as the letter writer.

So, if crop circles begin appearing in Winchester or Woburn, they'll
probably check on me first.

I can see the headlines, "Strange 61 year old photographer with
televison-sized camera is being questioned by police about last night's
crop circles, ties to Al Qaeda being investigated."

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com