Subject: RE: [Leica] NYT article about Salgado
From: Ben Madison <bmad@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 05:07:07 +0900

> They used to charge us furriners for looking at the NY Times
> website, so when  you signed up, Beverly Hills 90210 was always
> a good fallback address....!

I've lived in Tokyo for the last six years, and I can assure you that I
have *never* had to pay for access to their site.  And I didn't have to
lie on their form, either.

> My feeling is - you ain't getting nuffink for free - my name's
> M. Mouse, and yes, I do live in Disney World.

Well, I guess there's free and then there's free, eh?  They *are*
providing access to their sole commodity, last I checked.  In exchange,
they'd like a little demographic data.  Sounds like a fair trade to
me...  these folks aren't spamming, if that's what you're afraid of...
they just want to sell advertisements...  it's how they pay their
photogs (though, off topic, it sounds like they're catching some well-
deserved flak on that issue, right now).

Regards,
jbm