Subject: [Leica] Re: Euro
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 20:43:22 +0200

Rob,

I am not Jason but can answer your question. Euro is the legal tender in the 12
countries that have adopted it plus Andorra and the Vatican. This does not
include the 3 EU members UK, Sweden and Denmark and the other 30-40 countries in
Europe.

As a practical matter, you can pay with Euros in many London department stores
and other places where tourists are likely to appear. The same is true here in
Zurich, where many of our tourists come from Euro countries. But that is nothing
special for the Euro--before these same stores would usually accept German
Marks, French Francs and other major currencies (including the US Dollar). And
also as before, they will usually stiff the visitor on the exchange rate...

Nathan

Rob Appleby wrote:

> Jason - you make a valid point, but the European project is currently pretty
> identified with the common currency, don't you think? BTW - are euros
> accepted as legal tender in the UK now, or do you have to change them at the
> bank?
> R.

- --
Nathan Wajsman