Subject: Re: [Leica] For anyone who still thinks that digital isn't really...
From: Allan Wafkowski <allanwafkowski@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:40:54 -0400

When I was as a teenager I encountered a robbery in progress. I had my
Minolta XG-1 loaded with Panatomic-X. (That favorite news photographer's
special combination!) I was able to get a half roll of the bad guys
leaving the deli and the police confronting them in the parking lot. I
ran home to process the film, but decided I should call the news desk
first to see if they wanted the shots (I had no doubt that they would
want these babies). I called the news desk and they hadn't even been
informed that a robbery had taken place. He then did the coolest thing a
newspaperman can do: he called the the police station on another phone
while I was live on this phone. I heard the whole conversation. We were
a team right there on our bank of phones. As it turned out, the robbery
was not very eventful and the pictures were not wanted, but the photo
editor gave me a sincere talk about how grateful he was to have had the
opportunity to use the pics, and that if I ever shot anything I though
was of interest I should give give him a call, and he gave me his desk
phone number. I wasn't even disappointed that he had not taken the
shots--hey, it was almost like I was his man on the waterfront. Almost.

When I processed the film, it was perfectly blank. I consider it God's
gift to fools that I was not called in to have their lab man develop the
film while me and the boys drank coffee and told bull stories. I would
have been very uncomfortable going from colleague to nitwit in one fell
swoop.

Allan