Subject: Re: [Leica] For anyone who still thinks that digital isn't really...
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 13:12:05 -0700

Tim Atherton said:

>>If you're juggling cameras it can happen.
And if things are busy (i.e. a couple of cameras, fast moving crowd or
group, striking miners and riot cops, 30 cops launching a mounted horseback
charge...  etc it's easy not to check the rotating rewind...) I'm not saying
it's an everyday occurrence, but I can bet you many LUGGERS have done
it!<<<<<

B. D. wrote:
>>If you're juggling cameras it can happen.

And if things are busy (i.e. a couple of cameras, fast moving crowd or
group, striking miners and riot cops, 30 cops launching a mounted horseback
charge...  etc it's easy not to check the rotating rewind...) I'm not saying
it's an everyday occurrence, but I can bet you many LUGGERS have done
it!<<<<

Hi Guys,
Oh dear me if I could only go back and re-cover all those wonderful photos
recorded on the pressure plate it would be marvelous! Not to mention the
money I could re-cover! ;-)

Hell then I might have the pictures of the Queen I missed because the camera
wasn't loaded, actually two of them!  :-(  Now there's a hell of an
admission! ;-) And when I panicked and told her Aide what happened and if he
might hold her for a few seconds, he looked at me with one of those stiff
upper lip, nose in the air snotty attitudes you just want to punch out and
responded... "Pity!" And turned towards her and off they went!

Oh well that's life and no one died, although it felt like I was going to.
Trust me, I figured I'd get killed or seriously maimed over the incident.
However, one must always maintain friendships even in the heat of
competition, as the other two shooters, (only three of us were invited to
photograph the Her) slipped me a couple of their outtakes and basically
saved me ass. Hey what are friends for but to protect each others butts
under fire. :-)

Usually an empty camera shooting occurs when working with three or four
cameras at the same time and in the rushing and switching cameras you may
quickly unload, then let the camera hang there while you momentarily return
shooting with another. But something else happens and you reach for the
camera "without" the base plate on and actually shoot a few "perceived
frames" before you realize your predicament.

Worst case?  Do the above while other photogs see you do it, then they watch
you load it properly! OUCH! they can be viscously mean in comment! ;-) Or
here's another; You finish a roll, re-wind rapidly, drop it on the neck
strap figuring to re-load it as soon as there's a break. Meanwhile you're
shooting away, then the break of a few seconds when you grab the camera whip
the base plate off and  "SURPRISE"...... it's the wrong camera and you've
just lost a bunch of frames! :-(

Oh heck the scenarios are endless. Trust me, if you haven't done it yet,
shooting with an empty camera.... you will at sometime. And whatever you do,
don't be a smug smart ass and say.... "it'll never happen to me!" It will!
Trust me, would I lie to you? ;-)
ted