Subject: Re: [Leica] 135 w/goggles, w/1.25x magnifier[s]
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 08:53:54 -0400

Checking Irwin's chart, the 135 3.4 requires a rangefinder base of 69.7 to
focus accurately.  Worse, the 135 2.8 need a base of 84.6 to focus
critically( the Noct only needs a base of 32.5).  So, Mitch, you are right
to conduct your experiments as even an M3 only has a base of 63.71.

With that said, I still think that having the 135 3.4 matched to your M6
will help significantly.  I can not get accurate focus with my 75 on my M6
body but focus is a snap on the M3.  The conclusion I would draw is that the
tolerances for cams and cam followers in your system all stack in the wrong
direction and focus is never quite right.  The Noct a F1 is not exactly a
hot knife for very fine detail so a slight mis-focus will be hard to spot.
But the 135 is still very good indeed with fine detail at 3.4 so a slight
mis-focus screams that you screwed up.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  I have some near identical shots of
grasses at sunset that are not even close to yours as the &%$##& Japanese L
lens did not handle the backlight near as well as the Leitz lens; and to
boot on an SLR where I could see the flare and try to avoid it.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] 135 w/goggles, w/1.25x magnifier[s])