Subject: RE: [Leica] WOW! -but Jim likes NORMAL PHOTOGRAPHY
From: "Stuart Phillips" <Stuart.Phillips@umb.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 02:00:14 -0400

James:

There's nothing wrong with my vision.

A young woman wins a number of prestigious international prizes for
photography.  I've never seen her work before. I approach her work and
try to understand her vision.  I read her statement(s) of purpose and
try to understand what she is communicating.  I give her power by
assuming that she has approved presentation of her work on the two sites
that I was pointed to, Leica's and www.in-public.com, and take it for
what it is. I don't try to fit it into what you call my "cynical
personal vision".

I don't try to compensate for my pathetically closed mind by trying to
troubleshoot her monitor settings - (or assume her meters not working
for God's sake). But your so right Jim - she's sitting on the beach,
saying to herself, "Damn, if I'd only got my settings right, my pictures
would look like everyone else's.) So too dark. Yes, and Picasso's Blue
Period was too blue. While we're at it, Gene Smith could have lightened
up the back ground in "Mad Eyes" so we can see what else is going on.
Perhaps the fact that they don't follow your precious under any "normal
photographic standards" is the reason she's gathering up the prizes. I
think she's very talented. What's cynical about that?  But hey, you've
definitely got the beginnings of an aesthetic there. Look at a photo.
Second guess at everything that could be changed until it resembles what
you think a photo should look like, then wonder why it got a prize.

If that's too abrasive, you've been watching too much TV news.

BTW I work in a cross-platform shop, and I don't understand why you are
jumping to silly defensive conclusions about Macs?

Stuart Phillips