Subject: [Leica] Beginning to catch up: Nathan's PAW 26 and 27
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 08:07:34 +0200

I have finally worked my way through a stack of negatives with my newly
CLA'd scanner, and so I can begin the process of catching up on my PAWs.
In this installment you get weeks 26 and 27 (late June/early July).

In week 26 the World Cup was in the elimination round, and Turkey was
doing well. After one of its victories I went down to Langstrasse,
Zurich's immigrant neighbourhood, where I had earlier photographed
partying Brazilians. The Turks were also out in force, actually in
greater numbers than the Brazilians, but their celebration was different
in nature. While the Brazilians like to drink and dance in the streets
to the beat of their samba drums, the Turks were more into driving
around in their cars, honking their horns and waving the flag. One of
the local bartenders told me that business was much better after a
Brazil game, even though there are far more Turks in Zurich. So, the
three pictures all involve people in cars. First, a typical scene with
two guys and the Turkish flag:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_26.jpg

The women were interesting; Turks are Moslems, but some are thoroughly
Westernized in their appearance:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_26alt1.jpg

while others are dressed more traditionally but are just as happy to see
their team win:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_26alt2.jpg

All three pictures with Leica M6, 50mm Summilux and Ilford Delta 100.

Week 27 was a family gathering in Israel. My cousin Ronit was getting
married, and despite the frequent terrorist attacks life goes on.
However, compared to my last visit 3 years ago the athmosphere was
decidedly subdued, and the environment was not too conducive to street
photography. Instead, here are some family portraits. First, my aunt
Rachel, who lives in Hadera, a town hard hit by terrorists during the
past year:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_27.jpg
(M6+50mm Summilux, Fuji Acros)

Rachel's husband Beno with my father at an outdoor café in Hadera:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_27alt1.jpg
(M6+35mm Summilux, Fuji Acros)

A window-lit portrait of Rachel's son, my cousin Eran:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_27alt2.jpg
(M6+50mm Summilux, Fuji Acros)

and finally my two cousins Ronit (on the left, the bride) and Mirale
talking at the former's wedding at a beach restaurant in Tel Aviv:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_27alt3.jpg
(M6+35mm Summilux, Ilford Delta 400)

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw2002.htm

and comments/critique are always welcomed and appreciated.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland