Subject: [Leica] Countyside-Cityside
From: Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 17:36:45 -0400

Hi Rich:

> Its the country that stimulates the mind! :-)

Well, I think that the denizens of the École des Hautes Études en
Sciences Sociales, and even Voltaire, would have disagreed with you.

It was thought that cities being the centers of learning, commerce and
research/development, stimulated human intellectual development... that
there was little to stimulate thought in the countryside.  The country
might inspire, but it would never stimulate.

Voltaire had his utopian thoughts about nature being so important but
his idea of nature was well manicured gardens, etc., and not the forest
as in Princeton and Ayer and other areas in the wilds of Massachusetts.

But then again, they couldn't possibly have envisioned the internet,
because of which you could just as easily be in the next office to me as
out there in the "woods."

See you on Monday.

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Countyside-Cityside)