Subject: [Leica] Re: Shudders and Ted's advice
From: Roy Feldman <royfel@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 20:52:27 -0700 (PDT)

 A couple of stories:
I am a pro and used to covering breaking news and commercial assignments, I roll up on a story and go thru a ritual of checking all the camera settings, its a routine I do 3 times a day.
Well today, the building I work in had a emergency evacuation, I grabbed a camera and ran outside, headed for the flashing lights. The first few shots wouldn't work because I had the lens cap on, then I couldn't figure out why the film was not winding till I turned on the motor.
These things are not suppose to happen to me.
My friend who was president of the White House Press Photogs, the head shooter in DC for AP and the photo editor of the Wash times were asked to play themselves in the TV show 'West Wing" the episode where the president was shot, they knew it (the shooting) was going to happen. They used real cameras but after filming only one of them had 'the shot'.
My point.. milliseconds and shutter lag won't really help or hurt unless you are mentally 100% in the game. I almost missed my event because I couldn't switch gears and get into my photographer roll fast enough, I was  too busy being evacuated.
The second story...even the best miss.
I really thought that I would have responded a lot better, that being on 'my turf 'thing really threw me.
It really is 95% thinking 5% equipment

Roy Feldman