Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary photography - pj
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 19:27:36 -0700

Bill   asmp
 wrote and wished for:
>>> This is not intended to be a slam, but a compliment, in my view you
already have what I would consider the perfect retirement. Traveling the
world, photographing a cause you care about, making presentations. You are
living the life I dream about when I retire and the kids are gone.<<<<

Hi Bill,

I'm not speaking on Tina's behalf, but my own!   .... it isn't just going
where and when we want to shoot our projects, as that's a tiny parcel of
what we do. And let me assure you it's the paper work, the organizing, the
tax papers to fill out, the supply ordering, the getting plane tickets and
all the other pain in the ass stuff that goes along with it..... and it
takes about 95% of the time compared to the 5% picture taking.

>>You are living the life I dream about when I retire and the kids are
gone.<<<<

Hell by that time you'll not likely be in physical shape to do it unless you
start an intensive physical fitness programme! ;-)  right  now! Trust me
this one I know about big time..... if your mind is gung ho to thunder about
the world shooting what pleases you there are a few things you must have:

1: Unlimited finances or damn close, and or someone funding what you want to
do.

2: Excellent health and health insurance.

3: Absolutely a good physical feeling body with tons of stamina! This is
extremely important.

4: A pair of damn fine legs to carry you about doing what you want wherever
and whenever..

5: .An understanding wife or husband as the case maybe. Hell somebody has to
guard the fort while you're off                      playing picture taker!
;-)

6: A whole bunch more I can't remember at the moment, but all extremely
important to be a successful photojournalist.

Your reaction is very typical of people who perceive what we do as
photojournalists traveling the world doing our work. "It's lovely, I want to
do that and stay in all the neat places and eat in restaurants all the time,
take pictures of those things I want to take. oh man it's so much fun you
guys are really lucky!"

And the truth is, damn right we're lucky as there are few people doing
exactly what they want and being some what monetarily successful. That
doesn't mean we make tons of money.... never happens, but it's usually
enough for food on the table and a roof overhead.... But damn man, we're
doing what we love with great passion, be photographers of the  world! :-)
ted