Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary photography - pj
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:23:16 -0400

I spent 30 years bring pictorial information to the world, most as a motion
picture cameraman doing great documentaries, yet a number of years doing
magazine work . Did I,or the work or any photographic work change the world?
Not in any directly measurable way.  Pictures from the south in the 1960's
aided in pointing out demonstrations and inequities and reactions to people,
graphic footage from Viet Nam made arm chair tv viewers aware that war, that
war, was hell...today there are still racists, inequities and people die
everyday from hostile actions....

It is however, the ability to present a point of view to a large audience
that is important to pictorial reportage.  We can not all enter Ted's
medical world, Tina's Latin American poverty or even go to London.
Informative pictures can take us there and inform us.  If anyone truly
believes that their photographs can change the world...as some say, have I
got a bridge for you.

Yet it is important to understand that photography is a valuable tool in
communicating ideas to large audiences in a dramatic manner.  People are
influenced by what they see...in daily newspapers, on tv, in books or on the
internet.

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander