Subject: Re: [Leica] Photojournalisim and 9/11
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:40:45 EDT

In a message dated 8/1/02 8:24:58 AM, allanwafkowski@mac.com writes:

<< Yes, reportage does impact on our perceptions, but how much? Hasn't rock
music changed the world much more? From the same era music we had
changes is clothing, language, and mores that continue to this day and
have been built on. We receive news through de facto authorized sources
that are fed to us without our becoming a part of the apparatus. Aren't
we much more changed by the things we are a part of? The dances we
danced, the music we listened to, the people he loved or hated. The
things we helped create have a profound effect on us. Much more so than
the things that are fed us.

Allan >>

I think it goes to the point that people (the human animal with a reptilian
brain) are far more inclined to engage in pleasureable pursuits than painful
ones.  This is why a well casted action flick is going to sell more tickets
than a somber documentary on nazi death camps, why changing ones clothing
(from straight legs to bell bottoms) is going to be more popular than
changing ones mode of transportation (from car to public transit) why a
movement of music (rock) is going to fill stadiums whereas groups dedicated
to (let's say) ending world hunger will gather a couple hundred. A corollary
to my pleasure over pain theory is that it's easier to purchase change rather
than commit to it, and it's easier to speak of it rather than to act upon it.

I disagree that the things that are fed to us, don't make an impact on
us....they do.  The national corporate news pretty much dictates what the
masses debate, because until it's in the corporate news channels, most people
either aren't aware of it or don't consider it the "truth."   Just look to
the beating war drums on the US's impending war on Iraq....it's being
reported almost fait accompli...and so far...folks are pretty much accepting
it as so.

- -kim