Subject: [Leica] Re: Shutter lag
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:16:11 -0700

That was a great sound bite.  And a great picture.  But, you use a
Leicaflex, which has that extra 1/10 delay, more or less.

On a more respectful note, your work is absolutely stunning.  When I
discovered your gallery, I yelled for my wife to come over, and we look
with awe at every picture on it.  How do you manage to photograph creatures
that mere mortals like us don't even get to see?

I grant that the lag of the typical P & S is absolutely unacceptable for
any sort of serious candid work.  But the advantage of the M over the SLR
is not really the saving of that 100 ms.  It is three-fold: 1) the camera
is quieter than most SLR's; 2) it is possible to focus it in low light
levels where it would be impossible with an SLR; and 3) (possibly most
important) because the view does not blank out at the moment the picture is
taken, the photographer can tell whether or not the decisive moment has
been missed.

Herb