Subject: Re: [Leica] Millimeters and milliseconds
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 06:14:12 -0700

Mitch Zeissler wrote:
> Ted...
>
> Sorry; I have to disagree with you on this one.
>
> I tried looking for examples that I have seen on the shutter lag with some
> of the cheaper digicams and can no longer locate them.  The examples that
> were posted were of people and critters that were fleeting images, but by
> the time the digicam had made up it's mind about the focus distance,
> exposure, phase of the moon, why ducks quack, etc., the subject was mostly
> or completely gone from the frame. <<<

Hi Mitch,
Now we're talking digicams not Leica M's, and without question the digicams,
nickle and dime kind anyway. Some friends with  them complain about what
you've pointed out. Missing the true action of what they re-acted to, but
the digi-camera lag didn't.

It's my understanding even pros using high end digital cameras have
complained about lag time, so obviouly it's a problem requiring thought in
use and when to shoot.  My good fortune is.... I'm still an old film
shooter! And all though I recently dabbled with the thought of doing
digital, I dismissed it right off for the time being.  Maybe some day when
I'm old ! ;-)

So for now I'll press on with the Leica M7's and good old fashion film and
fun!
ted