Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm Summilux-M
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:56:29 -0400

Seth Rosner inexplicably - ;-) - wrote:

...Unquestionably today Leica
is striving to introduce cameras and lenses that perform better than the
Leica products they replace.

- ---------------------

Unquestionably? I don't think so. While there seems little questions that
the optical quality of the latest generation of lenses represents a marked
improvement over earlier generations. But while build quality is still
probably the world's best, the build quality of today's Leica lenses doesn't
match up to the build quality of earlier Leica lenses - but what does match
up in today's world?

As to the contention that they are constantly improving the cameras - I
don't think so. Yes, they put a meter in the later versions of the M4 and
called it the M6. And, yes, they added some features to the M6 to make it
the M7. But were those "improvements," or were they changes? I am not for an
instant arguing against the changes made - I use M6s after all, and would
certainly not turn down an M7 if given one a year from now when the bugs are
out of it. But I don't believe that the cameras have been "improved,"
despite what Erwin Puts says. There are some things about the M6 and M7 that
are definitely inferior when compared to, say, the M3 - rangefinder flare
being one, the plastic/Teflon film gate being another.

Have the products evolved? Sure. Have they improved? Don't bet on it.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (RE: [Leica] 35mm Summilux-M)