Subject: RE: [Leica] LHSA Meetings. It's not just about cameras anymore.
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:28:30 -0400

So, George, is a slide a "photograph?"

This endless discussion/debate is more than a little puzzling, given that
it's about a technology that has changed numerous times since its discovery.
Copper plates. Glass plates. Film stock. Large format. Small format. Etc.
Etc. Etc. Seems to me the commonality has been the capturing of light, in
some way, to produce an image - on something. You can argue that what makes
a photograph a photograph is that it is "printed on paper coated with a
light sensitive emulsion." But by doing so you eliminate from the definition
of photograph all those images that predate paper prints, and, truth be
told, you are eliminating the future of photography - for silver printing
will, probably within this decade, become a medium for hobbyists and a
limited number of art photographers.

B. D.