Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica R8 vs R6
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:39:15 -0700

Have to agree with you, Ken, although the R8 reminds me more of a glove that
fits like a baseball mitt. Kinda' big with that motor drive, but really
comfortable with the wide side strap. It makes you want to go out and
"catch" a few. I've only had the R8 a month now, but have taken a few rolls
just recently with the 70-180/2.8. In the studio, it handled well for
portraits - I especially liked how bright it was at 180 to focus, then
zoomed back for framing. I can't even remember noticing the weight. The R8
internal flash meter was pretty neat for confirming the incident exposure I
had measured with a Sekonic handheld. Outside I got some Humboldt Bay bridge
shots at dusk on a tripod and used the autobracketing motor drive feature.
The 'chromes came out fantastic. Am looking forward to trying it out for
some aerial photography on the next job.

I don't regret all the Leica equipment I had to sell to get the R8, so far
with the 28-70 and 70-180 Varios. Now I just need to sell something else to
afford the APO 2x extender! As Owl said in the Pogo cartoon, "Where will it
all end?!"

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGer (and still shooting M's, too)

Message from Ken Wilcox <klw.51@comcast.net> ([Leica] Re: Leica R8 vs R6)