Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA Meetings. It's not just about cameras anymore.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:36:49 -0700

Tim Atherton wrote:

> you can blow up a neg from a Leica just about as big as you like - the
> viewing distance just increases with the size...
>
> Have you ever seen the grain on a billboard (well dots) -  they are huge

Ever get close up to Opera or stage scenery. It's like you're in a
Jackson Pollock painting.
But by the time those wavelengths cross the orchestra pit the become
solid hues but I'm told they have more depth.
So maybe grain is better just as long as they don't get too close.

Yes the issues involve not just the grain size but how close you are
looking at them.

I tend to think that it's not so bad for grain to be visible especially
when you are closer to the ideal viewing distance just as long as the
grain QUALITY is not bad. A nice sharp even grain not a mushy mushroom
irregular mush kind of grain. Grain being the brushstroke of photography
and all that.

I respect those who think grain should be almost invisible independent
of viewing distance and they shoot large format for images that need
those magnifications. More power to em but i hate it when they tell me
that it cant be done in 35mm because i see it done every day at the lab
and it looks great and I've done it too. I just have them mount them to
a piece of foamcore and i throw up on the wall. They don't look like snapshots.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com