Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA Meetings. It's not just about cameras anymore.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:07:12 -0700

Ted Bayer wrote:

> Hi Mark:
>
> I have not had the experience of seeing 24 by 30 inch prints from a
> Leica negative.  I am curious about the quality of the image at this
> magnification.  How good is it?
>
> What about 16 X 20?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ted in Olalla

I have a 30x40 from a 35mm neg. On the wall which at my color rental lab
is a common occurrence.
I must say thought that this was taken with a Nikon 10 or 15 years ago
(and i must get in on my website).
And there was even some camera moment to make the mix more interesting.
But i remember it was 35mm Kodacolor 100. I've not done 30x40 printing
from Leica glass yet but I anticipate being made VERY happy I'd been
using Leica glass when I do.

If you stand two feet from it which is too close you can see some grain.
Some of that is because of the blur.
Another shot i have in a different part of my studio was shot not 35mm
Fujichrome then I make a 4x5 inch Internegative from it. It is grainless
at any distance. Highly saturated.

People will be amazed to find 30x40 inch is a very viable size for 35mm
photography. Even from faster films.

Most would guess this was stretching it and in some ways maybe they'd be
right in my opinion.
But I and others have no problem with it. Even when the grain is visible
it is usually not detrimental.

By the way they make portfolio sizes for this size which you can carry
under your arm.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com