Subject: [Leica] LHSA dues thread
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 21:01:08 -0400

All...

I think this thread, in it's current direction, is doing more harm than
good.

Being an LHSA member since 1999, I am delighted that the LHSA board has
decided to try something to encourage the younger crowd to join and attend.
I noticed during the LHSA spring shoot in Baltimore that the next youngest
member to me appeared to be Mark Rabiner, and I'm 41!  And I did not notice
many feminine shooters; only one or two, if that many.  If Leica and LHSA
interest [they are intertwined in my thinking] are to continue, that needs
to change.

Does it bother me that someone might receive a discount off the membership
dues for the last 3 months of the year for having attended the LHSA meeting
at their expense?  Not at all, especially if they then join the LHSA!  And I
think that they will be very impressed with the Viewfinder, if not by the
catalog.

Can more efforts be made to include LUGgers?  Certainly, but why stop there?
Why not enlist the camera stores that sell Leica gear and give them LHSA
brochures to distribute with every Leica purchase and handouts to post for
Leica meetings?

Can we start chapters?  Why not?  I certainly tried to keep everyone
together after the DC MALUG meeting in spring of '99 [collected all the
e-mail addresses, made sure changes were recorded, etc.], but folks got busy
and the effort stalled.  It was during the MALUG meeting that everyone was
introduced to the LHSA [complete with a table and brochures] by
Director-at-Large Bill Bivens.  Prior to that, I didn't even know it
existed.

Putting together a real meeting, in the MALUG sense [hotel, meal, trading
tables, shooting side trip, guest speakers, et al.], takes some real effort,
which is why I imagine MALUG did not go any further.  Would I be willing to
actively participate in a casual get together?  Sure.  I imagine Steve
LeHuray, myself and a couple others could rotate the duties or arrange
something for a DC/Annapolis/Baltimore group.

My point is, why not promote the positive, instead of the negative?

Best regards,

/Mitch