Subject: Re: [Leica] PWIFLI: People pictures from Pienza
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 10:20:54 -0700

At 07:42 AM 7/28/02 -0700, Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net> wrote:
>    You capture a nice moment in the first shot. A tighter crop, just the
>three heads, would help focus the photo around the action, which is a
>fantastic human moment. Could be straight out of my childhood.

Michael, thanks for the comments.  Here it is cropped much tighter:
New,
cropped:  http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/italy/siblingrival_verytightcrop.jpg
Original:   http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/italy/siblingrival_bw.htm

It's interesting:  They are two different pictures.  The original one shows
more context--you get better cues that the picture was taken somewhere in
Europe.  The cropped version focuses on the raw emotion of the situation
better.

I had the 35mm lens on the camera for the shot, but I remember wishing that
I'd had the 50, because I could have gotten a little closer view without
the risk of distracting the kids.   The original version is cropped a bit
from the negative a little, it's almost a 50 view of the 35 shot.  Your
suggested cropping makes it a 75 or 90 shot.

Now a little personal context.  I had not yet gotten my contact lenses when
this picture was taken.  With glasses, I can't see about 1/5 of the 35mm
frame on a .72x standard M viewfinder.  I've noticed that since I got my
contacts, I'm framing 35mm shots much better.  But I'm also realizing that
I really am more of a 50/90mm kind of guy when I'm shooting candids.  My
sense of how close it is OK to get matches the 50 better.  Or as Mark
Rabiner might say, "Fifty is Nifty!"

>     I love the expression on the gentleman's face here, and the soft
>background on the left.  I wish the poster wasn't right behind his head; it
>detracts, IMHO, from the leisurely atmosphere of the photo.  Of course, there
>was nothing you could do about that.

I very much liked the man's expression, too, that's why I took the
picture.  The poster (which you can read on the original) is an election
poster--I liked the idea of an elderly fellow lost in reverie in a
beautiful park, in spite of the intrusion of daily life the poster
represents.  He's made his own world at that moment.  (Besides, I wasn't
about to ask him to move  :-)

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from "Michael Abbott" <lists@mabot.com> (Re: [Leica] PWIFLI: People pictures from Pienza)