Subject: [Leica] LHSA Annual Meeting; half-price membership for new LUG members! Long
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:35:33 EDT

Good afternoon friends:

A few of you know that I am a newcomer member of the LHSA Board having joined
Luggers Mark Rabiner and Bill Rosauer on the Board last year. I had been an
LHSA member for almost 30 years, just for the VIEWFINDER magazine and the
quarterly Leica Catalog.

The Society's name is a misnomer. Leica history is still an important
interest of many LHSA members and of VIEWFINDER. Still as membership has
grown, many if not most of the younger members are more interested in Leica
photography than history. So both are reflected in our publications, our
scope and our programs. In fact, at my first Board meeting this May I
suggested that the Board consider changing the name to Leica Society of
America to reflect just that. And while some on the Board are attached to the
traditional name, I hope it will be reconsidered at the fall meeting.

I've just asked and received permission from Dick Gladden, LHSA president, to
announce to you all that LUG members not already LHSA members who attend the
October annual meeting (early registration fee $55.) will receive their first
year of LHSA membership at half the normal rate, $25. rather than $50.
Normally a new member's membership year begins at the time of joining; your
first year will be through the end of 2003 and will include extra issues of
VIEWFINDER and the Catalog and membership through the 2003 annual meeting!

Our own Ted Grant is the featured speaker at the annual banquet Saturday
evening and as we speak he is putting the final touches on his slide
presentation. Another featured speaker will be our own Jim Lager. As a member
you will also have the opportunity to participate in the annual meeting
raffle. This year's grand prize is a black paint TTL M6 0.58 with 35/2 ASPH
Summicron, second prize is a new M7 body, third prize a new Leica Digilux 1
with additional prizes depending on number of raffle tickets sold. Tickets
are $5. each or 6 tickets for $25. There is no limit on the number of tickets
you may buy.

I know many of you are already LHSA members whom we hope to see in Portland.
Mark Rabiner has been the arrangements and program chairman for this meeting
and he has arranged a series of wonderful tours, shooting opportunities and
social diversions, listed below for those interested. Mark and I both hope to
meet many new LUG members through this special offer.

Interested Lugnuts please contact Madge Brown, LHSA Adminstrative
Coordinator, at:    mwcbrown@hotmail.com    Identify yourself as a LUG member
not presently an LHSA member and request that she forward the registration
and membership package. It will include raffle tickets (and you can buy more
than 6). Remember, early registration (pre-Sept 18) is $55., late is $60.
plus $25. for your special LHSA membership running through December 31, 2003
!!

Here's a summary of the program (those not interested stop here):

A LHSA Gathering in the Pacific Northwest October 3 - 6, 2002
Leica Historical Society of America 34th ANNUAL MEETING

Portland, Oregon... one of the nation's most beautiful cities, will be the
site of the 2002 Annual Meeting of the Leica Historical Society of America.
Known as the "City of Roses," Portland is a wonderful blend of urban parks,
internationally acclaimed attractions, worldclass shopping and dining, and a
thriving arts community offering a colorful palette of art galleries, local
theater and Broadway performances. OUTSIDE magazine voted Portland one of the
"10 Greatest Places to Live." Years of careful urban management have made
Portland a city planner's dream. Built on a European model, the city is a
walker's paradise. Featuring statues, fountains and half-size city blocks,
Portland was voted by WALKING magazine as one of America's best walking
towns. Best of all, Portland's mass transit system-buses, light rail and
streetcars-is free within a 330-square-block area known as "Fareless Square."

ACCOMMODATIONS

The site of the 2002 Annual Meeting will be the Doubletree Hotel - Lloyd
Center at 1000 NE Multnomah Boulevard. The Doubletree Hotel is located just a
half block from Portland's MAX light rail and streetcar station. The
Doubletree is nine miles from the airport and a complimentary airport shuttle
is provided for hotel guests.

REGISTRATION INFORMATION

The registration fee is $55 when paid by mail and postmarked no later than
September 18. Registrations mailed after September 18 or paid at the
registration desk in Portland will be $60. The registration fee for
non-members will be $110 ($50 for membership for the year 2003 plus the $60
registration fee).

NOTE, NEW LHSA MEMBERS FROM THE LUG PAY $80. TOTAL IF EARLY REGISTRANTS, $85.
IF LATE.

2002 ANNUAL MEETING HIGHLIGHTS

On Thursday, October 3, LHSA is sponsoring a tour to Columbia River Gorge -
Laterelle Falls - Multnomah Falls with lunch at Timberline Lodge by
well-known chef Leif Benson. On Thursday evening Mark Davison will exhibit
Leica images involving the use of digital processing. Mr. Davison has worked
for two decades in the fields of computer imaging, desktop publishing and
graphics.

Back at the hotel, LHSA will host a member reception for all attendees and
their guests, followed by a presentation by LHSA's own "Leica collector
extraordinaire" Jim Lager, who will give his latest inspired twist on
collecting.

On Friday, October 4, LHSA sponsors a tour to the Evergreen Aviation Museum,
home of the "Spruce Goose" and other famous aircraft. We will also visit the
Yamhill County wine country, world renowned for its Pinot Noir. A box lunch
will be provided at the winery, with wines available for purchase. Upon
returning to Portland, the tour will stop at the famous Japanese Gardens.
Back at the hotel, LHSA will host a member reception for all attendees and
their guests, followed by the Leica Image/Slide Presentation, featuring
photographs sent to Bill Grimwood by LHSA members.

Saturday, October 5 begins with the LHSA Business Meeting and Election. The
daytime program on Saturday will feature guest speakers Gerald Robinson,
George Gilbert, Robbie McClaran and Lawrence Shlim. Gerald Robinson is a
photographic scholar who has had the good fortune to be in the company of
such notables as Ansel Adams, Brett Weston and Syn Bullock.

George Gilbert will speak about the Leitz Freedom Train, the World War II
movement of Jews out of Germany to safety. Robbie McClaran's work has been
seen in such publications as The New York Times Magazine, Time, Newsweek and
National Geographic. Mr. McClaran's photography and books have won numerous
awards from such organizations as American Photography, Communication Arts,
and The American Institute of Graphic Arts. Lawrence Shlim has had exhibits
in many leading galleries in the Northwest and is very knowledgeable about
the people and trends affecting the gallery scene.

The Annual Raffle will be held Saturday evening during the banquet, and at
that time the new LHSA Board of Directors will be introduced. The banquet
speaker will be Canadian photographer Ted Grant, who will speak on "A 50-Year
Love Affair: Leicas and Photography." Ted's outstanding reputation as a
photojournalist and commercial photographer spans a career of 50 years. He
has covered major news and sports events, political campaigns, and his
photographs appear in books ranging from Men of the Saddle to A Day in the
Life of Canada. During his travels throughout the world, Grant developed a
technique that allows his camera to bring a "natural" quality to photographic
situations. He is the only photographer to earn both the prestigious gold and
silver medals for Photographic Excellence presented by the National Film
Board of Canada.

The final event is the annual Trade Fair, to be held the morning of Sunday,
October 6. This event is for LHSA members only. Please sign up for display
tables on the enclosed LHSA Meeting Registration card.

We hope many Luggers who are no now members will join us at what may be the
largest gathering of Leica photographers ever in North America.

Best to all,

Seth           LaK 9

Replies: Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] LHSA Annual Meeting; half-price membership for new LUG members! Long)