Subject: Re: [Leica] The Road To Perdition
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 17:07:50 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/02 4:30:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

> ...Is an absolute 'must see' for anyone who appreciates fine photography. A
>  visually stunning movie.

Got it, B.D. Ann and I just saw the film. I judge films on, among other
things, how close to perfection the film-maker has come in achieving his goal
- - whatever that may be. Could he have done anything more or different to make
the best possible film of this subject? They don't have to be great Greek
tragedies, although A Man for All Seasons is in my top four or five. E.g.
another close to perfect film, for me, is The Sting. I couldn't figure out
how to make that film any better.

Road to Perdition is among a couple of handfuls of my close to perfect films.
And when we came out of the cinema, I said to Ann, the cinematography, the
pure filming and editing, was magnificent. Thanks for pointing it out to our
friends here.

Seth

P.S. The Sting had one technical mistake that jumped off the screen at me
when I first saw it: remember how each segment of the film was introduced by
a Saturday Evening Post magazine cover? The one that preceded the poker game
on the 20th Century Limited was a drawing of the first streamlined "Century"
pulled by a New York Central 4-6-4 Hudson steam locomotive. That rendition of
the train was designed by a well-known industrial designer, Henry Dreyfuss
and first went into service in 1938.  But the film opens with a man climbing
a set of exterior stairs with superimposed titles setting place and time as -
I recollect - Cicero Illinois, September 1934.

Lord the burden of being a lawyer!

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: The Road To Perdition)