Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Film and Travel
From: Ben Madison <bmad@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 02:41:56 +0900

Quoting Brian Ampolsk <bampolsk@csc.com>:

> ... I tried to have security manually check my film which was
> in see-through ziploc bags.  It's not that they refused to do it.
> It's that they were going to make me pay...  I was told to move
> over to the side and they would check each roll...  they would
> have to open each box of film and manually check it ...
>
> So, it's really a problem and I don't know how to deal with it.

You should start by taking the film out of the box.  Then take it out of
the little plastic can.  I travel with all of my film in ziplocs like that,
and (knock on wood) haven't had a problem getting a hand inspection.  You
have to ask for it, then ask for it again after they assure you that the x-
ray machine isn't a problem, but if you're polite and firm you'll usually
get your way.

Actually, now that I think about it, you don't always have to ask...  last
month, flying out of Rome, I plopped the bag (and we're talking a
noticeable bag...  like 30 rolls) in the change tray, walked through the
metal detector, and then stood around like an idiot for ten seconds waiting
for someone to come look at the film...  nobody paid me any attention at
all, so I just grabbed it and traipsed off.  Same trip at Hong Kong I had
two guys feeling through it all...  whatever.

Cheers,
jbm