Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M7 and battery life
From: "Doug Lee" <drlee9@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:50:15 -0400

<snip>
> that, if they hand-check your camera bag in the secondary gate check, they
> won't let you take the batteries on board in carry-on luggage if they find
> them?

<snip>

Perhaps this will help...

If you are at an U.S. airport and think that the airline security staff are
being a little obtuse, ask to speak with the GSC (General Security
Coordinator). Every airline has one.

My step-son's father works for an airline and advised my wife to do this the
next time she got hassled unnecessarily. He used it himself in the follwoing
situation: Security found a manicure set in his carry-on with a pair of
scissors. He was told he couldn't board the flight. He knew the scissors
were "legal" (short, rounded points). He asked to speak with the GSC. Result
(after they got over the initial shock that someone new thee was such a
person), they couldn't get him on the plane fast enough.

I believe this only works at the random gate checks as you board your
flight. Not sure about the main security checkpoint as you enter the
terminal. I'll try and find out.

I am passing  this along for FWIW. I would say use your best judgement.

I may as well mention what happened to my wife to put the above "advice" in
context. She was flying out of Boston on Monday and got pulled for a random
check of baggage, body and shoes. Of course, there was no female security
agent, but the inspection was not intrusive, except that the security
personnel had apparently never seen Levi's button fly jeans before. When the
security personnel were finished they told her to go ahead and board the
flight. She started down the ramp as she had been told and the gate agent
started yelling at her that she couldn't do that, etc., etc., ... That would
have been a perfect time to ask for the GSC. Now she knows.

Regards,
Doug

Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Re: M7 and battery life)
Message from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: M7 and battery life)