Subject: Re: [Leica] film and travel
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:41:00 -0400

Bill Saterfield writes:

> This is a problem that really needs to be addressed. My Leica Viewfinder
> that just came  mentions it in the presidents message. All the airports
> refuse to do it. Really creates a  problem. I do not know why they pick
> on  photographers so much. Can you hide a bomb in film? They seem to
> think you can. Certainly a person trying to get something on a plane
> would not ask for a hand check. FAA regulations allow it. Some security
> people can  not think between the numbers or out of the box. Why don't
> we all email our congressmen?

Well, what I have encountered in the past few months while checking in at
airports and even worse, the State Department, The Alcohol Tobacco Firearms
Dept (ATF) and Ronald Reagan Building in Wash, Dc is that I would always get
an order from the low-level security guard that all my camera gear would
have to go through the scanner, I politely ask for a hand check and the
guard would say no, at this point I demand his/her supervisor and every time
the supervisor has given me the hand check.

sl