Subject: Re: [Leica] Speaking of Digilux!
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:49:06 -0700

Tina Manley wrote:

> LUGnuts:
>
> Here is something that turned up on the PhotoPro list today:
>
> "All digital cameras are very sensitive to heat; the hotter the chip the
> more noise you'll have in the image."
>
> Does anybody know anything about this?  Both the Digilux and the Lumix get
> hot when you use them for any length of time.
>
> Tina

They are probably talking about "dark current". I think that is not too great
an issue in consumer CCD based digital camersa. It is an issue in astronomical
instruments.

A brief description of dark current can be found here:

www.roper.co.jp/Html/CCD%20primer

It's basically just the migration of electrons into the CCD cells. Since they
are not the product of photos striking the CCD they are noise in your picture.

Dennis

Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Speaking of Digilux!)