Subject: [Leica] Quadtone Printing Difficulties
From: Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:57:11 -0500

LUGnuts:
    I've got a problem with my digital darkroom setup that I'm
hoping some of you techno wizards might be able to solve.  I got
the Original Quadtone Inks from MIS Associates for my Epson 740.
Now, I can't find a workflow for my Epson 740, but I did find one
created by Chris Brandin on their website for the 1160--which has
exactly the same technical specs, as far as the nozzles, etc. go,
as the 740 (people refer to the 740 as a baby 1160).  I've tried
to follow his workflow stuff to the letter, but it is tough, as
Photoshop 7 for the Mac doesn't give me all of the same menus
etc.as the Windows version to which he refers.  However, I did
set my primaries according to his specifications in the Color
Management menu, and I did manage to use the curve he supplied
for my paper--Epson Archival Matte.  I also followed all of the
different actions that he uses to transform the picture itself.
However, the skin tones come out too gray right now in some of my
prints.  The really mysterious thing is that some do come out
acceptably--particularly those with greater contrast.
    Any suggestions before I decide to take this printer out back
and beat the stuffing out of it?
Regards,
Michael Gerard
geeman1066@earthlink.net