Subject: Re: [Leica] Awesome Web Site OT Opera - you're kidding right?!
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:54:28 -0700

on 7/23/02 7:37 AM, Tim Atherton at tim@KairosPhoto.com thoughtfully wrote:

> Actually they don't - the analysis I've just been studying seems to show
> that in fact more people prefer easy to navigate, clean, simple and
> straightforward - even for museums and galleries, news sites and other sites
> displaying "content" rather than just "selling stuff" (for which the clean,
> simple, easy is even more important).

Yeah, I admit I don't like sites which use every bell and whistle known to
humankind.

On the other hand I've seen some pretty good Flash sites whose flash
integration was almost invisible but which made the site easy to use and
more functional than the limitations of HTML and its various implimentations
can provide.

One of the nice things about Flash is that, if it runs, everyone will see
the same thing. (I think) That's hardly true for web browsers. I use three
different browsers on my Mac: Omniweb, Chimera (based on Mozilla but with a
elegant Aqua interface), and IE because there are some sites where the
designers just wrote to the IE browser rather than to the W3C standard.

Flash looks the same in all of these and that's a Good Thing.

Personally I like sites that are minimalist.

Adam Bridge