Subject: Re: [Leica] Spherical projections
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:56:11 -0400

On 7/22/02 12:36 PM, "Aram Langhans" <langhans@yakima-wa.com> wrote:

> I told him I
> would tap into the wealth of knowledge that is the LUG and see if someone
> out there knows what kind of projection he would need and what software
> might be able to accomplish this.

The mapping onto the outside of a sphere is exactly the same as the mapping
to the INSIDE of a sphere. The best suite of tools for performing these
kinds of remappings, which are widely used in immersive 3d imaging, is
actually free, although the learning curve is alarmingly steep.

The suite is called 'panotools' by Helmut Dersch and a Google search will
take you there. Unfortunately the site hosting the tools is down for the
summer and doesn't reopen until Sept 20th. Nevertheless, try Googling for it
and you will find a lot of the pages are cached, with links to plenty of
resources which will help you.

Much more info and help is available from the panorama mailing list, details
below. If you repost your question to this list you will get a definitive
answer.