Subject: Re: [Leica] Jpeg patent furor
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 07:37:52 -0400 (EDT)

interesting.

the GIF format has this problem a few years ago; PNG and MNG were created
to address licensing problems associated with GIFs.  there is a similar
format JNG which is a  lossy compression format similar to JPEG.  these
formats have been creeping into browsers and other applications over the
past few years.

for further info, see:

http://www.libpng.com
http://www.libmng.com

- -rei

> From: Adam Bridge <abridge@dcn.davis.ca.us>
>
> The future of the current jpeg standard for transmission of images is being
> undermined by litigation.
>
> If you'd like to find out a little more you can got to the JPEG working
> group site. Since we're in the image business anything that affects our
> ability to easily transmit them should be of interest.
>
> It seemed that JPEG would be safe, but it appears not to be. Sigh.
>
> Here's a non-inflammatory URL:
>
> http://www.jpeg.org/newsrel1.htm
>
> Adam Bridge

- --