Subject: Re: [Leica] Test images from Nikon 8000 and Epson 3000
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:07:36 -0400

At 07:49 AM 7/17/02 -0700, you wrote:
>No, I don't own any digital cameras...and the grain on
>the print doesn't appear to be from the texture of the
>paper, though I guess it could be from the ink
>absorbing properties...though you would think that
>Cones wouldn't sell paper that would have ink
>absorbing properties that would mess up the print.  I
>have some Epson Heavyweight borderless matte paper
>that I can try a print on, also I can print using the
>Cone PhotoMatte paper on my HP Deskjet...I suspect it
>will continue to give me good results, but have not
>tried it in a few weeks.
>
>I don't know what step wedges are...can you explain?

Just the gray scale going from white to black in steps or wedges.  Austin
pointed out that the Piezography software has some sample files on it but I
think you are satisfied with the Piezography prints and are having problems
with color and Generations ink, right?  Do you have a color photo with
almost no grain that you could try?   When you look at your scanned image
in PS and view it by actual pixel size, do you see a lot of grain in the
areas where you see grain on the print?

You might also try the Grain Equilizing feature on the 8000.  I've used it
with really grainy old negatives that I have and it works great.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

images available from: