Subject: Re: [Leica] Trade off between film and lens speed
From: Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:29:07 -0500

Ted,
    Thanks for such a thoughtful and thought-provoking response.  I've strayed
a bit from the LUG of late--falling behind in viewing and posting--and it is
interchanges like this one, as well as the fantastic pictures that are posted
here, that'll get me back up to speed.  Though I am still taking shots...just
having a hard time finding time to scan and post.
    I do shoot at even slower shutter speeds than 1/30 handheld, but generally
figure that I'm rolling the dice.  I took a shot one morning at 1/8 because
there were some neat light patterns created by the blinds in my bedroom, and my
daughter was standing in them.  I got some blur, but saved the shot because it
is contains such interesting light.
    I will have to try more wide open shots.  I generally shoot wide open when
I want to isolate something, relying on the bokeh to eliminate background
distractions.  I may just try to shoot a roll in tough light using my lens wide
open.  You are right--the worst thing that can happen is that I waste some
shots.  One of the nice things about coming to photography later on in life is
that I realized, right from the beginning, that learning how to do it was going
to be the really fun part.  I didn't put pressure on myself to take great
pictures right from the beginning.  It's more fun having low expectations of
yourself, and figuring that you'll learn from all of the failures. In fact, my
successes teach me far less than do my failures.
Regards,
Michael Gerard
geeman1066@earthlink.net