Subject: [Leica] "we design landfills" (WSJ 7-16-02, D1)
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:54:36 -0400 (EDT)

speaking of the Wall Street Journal, today they have an interesting article
on page D1 "Guaranteed to Last A Whole 90 Days."  the article observes that
the newer the device, the cheaper, and the shorter the service life, and
that older devices are deliberately obsoleted by a) making them impossible or
prohibitively expensive to repair, and b) not supporting their interaction
with newer computers, services, etc.   some devices are even glued together
making them virtually impossible to take apart.  one senior engineer is
quoted:  "we joke that we design landfills."

while not mentioning digital cameras, i'd say they share many attributes
to the electronics described.

- -rei

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com