Subject: Re: [Leica] Bessa R2
From: "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:03:55 -0500

Hi Dan,

I got this camera recently as my entry into the rangefinder market.  I can't
compare to Leica's though because I haven't yet used a Leica.

I find the viewfinder to be very clear and bright, but sometimes have
difficulty with the rangefinder patch.  My difficulties may not be atypical
of rangefinders in general, I don't know.  But with the 90mm lens I have a
bit of trouble defining the actual focusing point; I can turn the focusing
barrel too far in either direction without always being clear on where the
lens is actually in focus.  With the 35mm lens the focus usually "pops"
nicely, but not in some situations.

The build quality of the camera seems good to me, and I like the rubberized
covering.  On one occasion I could not advance the film after taking an
exposure, and I had to push the rewind button which allowed me to advance
the lever.

There is no description of the built in lightmeter in the owner's manual; I
assume it is a center weighted average reading, but at times it seems to put
too much emphasis on sky and I usually rely on my handheld instead.

The film does load very reliably and easily (but not like an EOS).  The
rewind know is a bit small, and sometimes slips out of my fingers when
rewinding the film, but not very often.

That's all I can think of to say; perhaps some of it may be useful to you.

Tom Smart