Subject: RE: [Leica] Update on Nikon 8000ED scanner
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:17:53 -0400

Austin,

Thanks for the professional insights. So far, I've always been decreasing
the resolution, as I understand it, by changing a (example) 2700 "dpi"
1.41x.94 inch image to a 360 dpi 6.5x4.3 inch image. Don't trust
interpolation - haven't needed it - my Epson only goes to 8.5x11. Now, are
you referring to the GF compression/resizing as interpolation in this case?
I still end up with a smaller file than I got from the scanner. When I
first got the utility, I compared it to tif files and Photoshop resizing
and didn't see any difference. Perhaps I'm not yet that critical a user.

I haven't appreciated the file sizes that high res scanners deliver from
medium format, or even 35mm. Over three minutes for a scan? *Gasp* I don't
think I'd have the patience to wait that long unless it's a masterpiece.
The almost two minutes mine takes with Vuescan makes me crazy. (I don't get
proofs, so scan about 75% of each roll just to see what I have. Maybe
that's crazy.) I bet a lot of the improvements seen with the newer scanners
are evident at lower res. The beauty of having film is you can go back and
make new scans when you actually need to make a 20x24 print.

This is way, way, OT, but glad for the thread. Learn a lot on this forum. I
miss the image quality of traditional B&W prints, and have not done any
since getting the Leica, so you could say I don't know what I'm missing at
all. Still, this computer crap makes do-your-own-color practical, and I'm
lovin' it.

Off to the lab now to pick up another 76 frames, and a long night with the
Coolscan......

Thanks, again,

Carl