Subject: Re: [Leica] Update on Nikon 8000ED scanner
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:47:10 -0400

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 06:32:46 -0400 (EDT), "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
wrote:

>good point.  what IS the impact on speed?  e.g., how long does it take
>to scan in at 4000 dpi for 35mm and 6x6?  how big are the files and how
>long does it take to bring up in PS?
>
>thanks,
>
>-rei

Here are the results from a test scan of a 35mm slide on my LS-4000 using
Vuescan.  I scanned at 4000 dpi in 64-bit RGBI mode, set the infrared
cleaning to medium intensity (I didn't use any other post-processing), and
saved the file as an uncompressed 48-bit TIFF.  My computer is a PIII 800,
with 768 MB

The scan itself took 55 seconds.  Post-processing and saving the file to
disk took 2:10, for a total scan time of 3:05.  The file was 111.5 MB.
Opening it in PS7 took 7 seconds.

The big gotcha with working on files this size is the RAM that PS consumes
if you do a lot of manipulations in 16 bit format.  The history palette can
chew up a ton of memory, and things start to bog down.  768KB is workable,
but my next machine will have at least 2 GB of RAM.

Paul

Replies: Reply from Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com> (Re: [Leica] Update on Nikon 8000ED scanner)
Message from "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com> (Re: [Leica] Update on Nikon 8000ED scanner)