Subject: [Leica] Passing of a great portrait photographer
From: Ken Lassiter <kenlass@gate.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 13:00:49 -0400

One more story comes to mind.  Once when I was in Karsh's Ottawa studio,
he showed me how he developed his 8x10 negatives by inspection.  He used
Kodak desensitizer to reduce the chance of fogging.

I think he must have been the last photographer on earth to use that
product.  Sales were down to a few bottles sold each year in Canada and
New York City (Where Karsh also had a small studio.)  Finally, Kodak
discontinued making the product.  I alerted Yousuf and he bought as many
bottles as he could find and all the rest we had at Kodak.

Several years went by and one day I got a frantic phone call from
Karsh's assistant.  "We are down to our last bottle of desensitizer!" he
blurted out and Karsh grabbed the phone and said, "Ken, you have got to
help me."   Well it was not possible for Kodak to make any more in the
USA since one of the ingredients was now banned by the EPA.  But I did
some research and found a company in Switzerland that did still make the
ingredient and they were willing to run off a batch of Kodak desenstizer
just for Karsh.  Kodak paid for it.  "You saved my career," said Karsh.

Karsh often called me in Rochester with a question.  He would track me
down when I was out on the road.  I recall I was in Phoenix when the
phone rang very early one morning and it was Karsh.

I am delighted that I was able to "save" Karsh's career.

Ken Lassiter, Boynton Beach, FL

Replies: Reply from David Young <dnr@horizon.bc.ca> ([Leica] OT: ADAPTALL for Leica-R question.)