Subject: [Leica] Update on Nikon 8000ED scanner
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 06:14:29 -0700 (PDT)

I've now done about 10 scans on the Nikon 8000ED and
followed them through to final prints.  Most of these
were color shots that I had had some trouble with
using the Epson 2450 (touble was primarily noise in
solid color areas).

The good news is that with the exception of one image
that I still can't get a good scan/print of (probably
have to go to a professional drum scan on it), the
rest of the images improved significantly. I am still
not satisfied with the final prints, but if you went
on a scale of 1-100 to get from where I was with the
2450 to where I wanted to be (as good as or better
than a wet dark room color print; with 1 being the
2450 and 100 being the "perfect print"), I would say I
got 80% of the way there with a combination of the
Nikon scanner and trying different papers with the
different images (the papers can make a BIG difference
all by themselves).

The detail in the scans is SIGNIFICANTLY better than
with the 2450, and the Digital Ice feature is
flawless...no dust, no retouching....NONE AT ALL!

What are the drawbacks?
1. Image file size.  While the 2450 was already BIG
(about 250MG file on a medium format color image at
actual image size and 1200 DPI), the file format is
now up around 435MG at 4000 DPI. At that size I have
not been able to get Geneuine Fractals to work...the
file seems too big, as GF just goes away and
processes...I cancelled it after about 45 minutes.

If you do the math you find that if you want to use a
2880 DPI image to match the resolution quality of the
newest Epson photo scanners, the file size at 16X20
inches will be bigger than any PC or Mac you can
currently buy....you'll need something with 5 or 6
Gigabytes of RAM just to print the image. Maybe there
is a separate printer buffer with additional memory
you can buy and put in between.

I am looking at something like an Epson 7600, but I
don't think you can take advantage of the 24 inch wide
print size because there isn't a computer that will
drive it at 2880 DPI.

2. The scanning takes a LONG time.  Particularly if
you go to 16X scanning with Digital Ice.  We've all
heard of go get a coffee...well this is make dinner
and eat...We're talking 30-45 minutes per scan.

3. For medium format you will want to get the glass
film holder...an extra $250-$300...on top of an
already expensive scanner.

Is it worth it? For me I think so.  The extra image
quality is visible and it has gotten me closer to the
quality of print I am hoping for.  If you want to
print big (16X20 or larger) the scanner quality is
very visible vs. the Epson 2450.

For photos posted on the Internet, absolutely go with
the 2450, it is easier, faster, and about 10% of the
price of the Nikon. You will not see a difference in
image quality on the Internet for 35mm or medium
format between the two.