Subject: Re: [Leica] Passing of a great portrait photographer
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:17:44 -0700

> > I heard on the radio just moments ago that Karsh has passed away.<<<

Ladies & Gentlemen,
This is indeed a very sad day for me due to Karsh's passing, as he and his
brother Malak were friends of mine. Malak more so then Yousuf.

In 1969 while a member of the Professional Photographers of Canada I won the
Karsh Award for "B&W Portraiture in Photojournalism"  To me one of the
finest awards I received as recognition of my work from one of the greatest
portrait photographers of our time.

In 1999 Yousuf and I both received recognition of our work when we received
Life Time Achievement Award's from the Canadian Association of Photographers
and Artists in Communications.  It was a triple whammy event for me, not
only had I been nominated for the award, (akin to nominated for an Oscar) a
feat in itself, but won over a number of other Canadian shooters.

Then I found out Karsh and I were receiving our award at the same event.
Like a very big, "WOW!"  Man talk about being over shadowed by his presence.
Unfortunately he was unable to attend due to illness and his brother Malak,
also a star in his own right as a photographer, received on his behalf.

On the one hand, as disappointed as I was Karsh couldn't attend, I was
equally excited that Malak could take his place.  It indeed was a wonderful
moment later when Malak arranged a phone call which Karsh took to
congratulate me.

A truly memorable moment when he said, "Now we are equals!" He was being
more than kind, but it sure made me feel wonderful. And I lost it in tears.

But as of today we no longer can share our lives with either of these great
photographers as Malak passed away last year. And now Karsh. So I indeed
have lost two friends who were at times my counsel during the early days
learning this wonderful life of photography

Sorry to bore you with this, please take it as grieving.

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] Passing of a great portrait photographer)