Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning tutorial, anyone? (OT, mostly)
From: Douglas Herr<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:50:53 -0700

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:12:01 +0000 Scott Squire <scott_squire@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> The specific problems I wouldl like to address
> are too-high contrast and too little shadow
> detail. This on negatives that have plenty, as
> visible to me in a 8X loupe.

The software's histograms may give you a clue about the shadow detail thing.
If the histogram is squashed toward the zero end of the scale you may be
clipping image detail in the shadows, or at the very least you're losing tonal
gradation in the shadows.  Try increasing the scanning exposure to get a
histogram that looks more like a bell curve.

The contrast thing can be fixed with a Curves adjustment layer.  As a first
approximation, anchor the center of the curve and the pull the upper end of
the curve down a bit (the lower end of the curve should go up since you've
anchored the center).  Play with this some and pretty soon you'll be amazed at
how much power you've unleashed.

Doug Herr<BR>Birdman of Sacramento<BR>http://www.wildlightphoto.com