Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Hands
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:33:20 -0700 (PDT)

Leica reminds me in many respects of BMW, and Leica
owners remind me of BMW enthusiasts. I don't have one
now, but I owned BMW's of one kind or another from
1971 to 2001. In 1971, no one knew what a BMW was.
You rarely saw them on the road, and those that owned
them were dedicated die hard enthusiasts.  EVERYONE
did their own work (repair and maintenance), and if
you passed another BMW you flashed your lights and
waved. The car of choice was the BMW 2002 or
2002tii...great cars and easy to tweak, upgrade, and
make faster for all the car nuts that owned them.
They were also cheap... a new one was a bit more than
a volkswagen Beetle. My first one cost under $3000 in
1971.

Over the years, BMW's got "discovered". People started
buying them for status, rather than enthusiastic use.
Prices went up (a lot). People bought them and didn't
change their own oil or do their own maintenance. BMW
actually made air conditioning that worked instead of
just overheating the car!  Good God what was the world
coming to....The enthusiasts even today believe that
REAL BMW's have round taillights (meaning a pre 1973
2002's)....Most would prefer that BMW just keep making
new 1972 BMW 2002's (sound like some Leica M3 owners
out there?).

Surely the world would be a better place if all these
people that didn't plan on racing their cars just went
away...They didn't plan to use the cars the way all of
us die hards did, and surely they didn't deserve them
if they were't scrapping their knuckles and getting
greasy fixing stuff.

Well "selling out" did a couple of things for
BMW...One is they managed to survive as one of the
very few independent car companies.  Two is they kept
their technology moving forward, and Three is they
managed to keep making cars that even the old die
hards have usually relented and bought because they
stayed closer to the original philosophy of the
company than GM, Ford or others would ever be.

I hope that Leica sells lots of cameras to collectors,
and people that want them for status or whatever their
reasons are, because that will keep the  company
afloat. They don't need to advertise to the people on
this list...we'd seek them out and buy them if they
tried to hide from us. If they make a good profit that
allows them fund more development, and make more stuff
that many of us that are Leica enthusiasts will want
to buy. And Leica did one thing that BMW didn't
do...BMW discontinued the 2002 in the 1970's, Leica
still makes the M.  Some may argue that the M3 is
better than the M7, but Leica would certainly NOT be
in business today if they simply continued stamping
out M3's for 50 years. The fact that they've continued
the M at all is a good thing for all of us.  They
don't make everything I'd like them to, but I'm not
unhappy with what they have done...so if they are
listening, keep it up, and don't forget the
enthusiasts that buy the cameras because (as Tina
points out), you can drop them in the river and keep
on shooting....DJ