Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 sorrow
From: Dr.Alexander.Kraus@gmx.de
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:56:06 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Daniel,
seems they replaced the M3 viewfinder with an M6 viewfinder. I know that
flare problem from my own M6 very well.
I was told by Leica that they are working on a solution to overcome the
flare problem. An upgrade is supposed to be available this fall. This flare
problem was introduced when Leica attempted to make the brightlines brighter, by
using a concave mirror instead of the flat one  that was used in M2,M4 and M5
models. In my opinion, the brightlines in the old viewfinders were
sufficiently bright and I don't know why they don't just return to the old viewfinder
setup!
Anyhow, you can overcome the flare problem by shadowing the middle window
with your finger. The frames will disappear (or weaken), but so does the flare
and the rangefinder spot will become very clear and thus exact focussing will
be very accurate again.

In order to be able focus accurately, you have to align your eye with the
center of the viewfinder. If you don't do that, you can not blame the
rangefinder for beeing inaccurate.

I hope this helps,

Alex

http://www.gmx.net