Subject: Re: [Leica] VC Meter
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:35:40 -0700

Hi Ernie;
Interesting that you're the first to comment, as you figure in this to a
small extent.
It all started when I had an M3. I bought a chrome new generation Elmar
for it, along with the VC meter. The lens was too heavy, i.e. outside my
comfort zone for an RF camera. But what put it over the top was that the
lens focused closer than the M3 allowed for. As I shoot very close in
and tight, it gave me a feeling of uncertainty that I didn't like.
So I figured what the heck, I was in for a penny, might as well be in
for a pound, and get that Noctilux. This is where you come in, as I
purchased yours. Nice lens, make that great, by the way. However, the M3
had pitting in the RF mirror, and I couldn't take a chance of it
blacking out at Murphy's request. So, I sold it and picked up a black
M4-2. Now I have a chrome meter that doesn't match the camera. The
problem is that I'm often in places that require me to be discreet, and
I mean really discreet. Which means that my gear has to at times
disappear in the folds of my clothing.
Meanwhile, the M4-2 develops a broken tip on the advance lever. While
waiting for a replacement part from Leica, I took a little detour to my
local camera repair shop to see if they had the part. That was just in
case Leica took a year and a day. Fortunately they took only a working
week. Now back to the camera R&R. I asked if he had an M3 or M2 advance
lever for My M4-2. He went in the back and dug out a new M2 lever, in
chrome. Well, between the meter and the lever I might as well have the
leatherette in a dayglow color. I can live with the chrome lever, but
not with the chrome meter combined.
To compound matters a little further, the M6 is completely unusable with
the Noctilux in the lighting situations that I use it in. The patch
flare is horrendous, to put it mildly. So in the end the Noctilux is
wedded to the M4-2, with Ted's 1.25 magnifier. While in some very tricky
lighting I'll use my Gossen, for the most part the VC meter is very
capable in general use. As I've gotten somewhat fond of the little pup,
I might as well live with my camera gear in the style and comfort that
I've become accustomed to, meaning in schwarz.
It's amazing how one little piece of equipment can pick so much
anecdotal baggage along the way.
Slobodan Dimitrov