Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos on web
From: "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:45:34 -0500

My preference is to separate the data from the display programming and link
the two using ASP scripts.  I have a Microsoft Access database that has
fields to describe the picture, etc., then just a couple of pages that link
to the database.

For example, my PAW page is http://www.sleepytom.com/PAW/Index.asp , which
looks at my database, and grabs any image where the field called "PAW" is
not null, then shows all the thumbnails for these images.  Then, no matter
which thumbnail you click, you get sent to
http://www.sleepytom.com/PAW/PAW2.asp .  The script will automatically
append the index number of the thumbnail to the second page in order to show
the right enlargement. (e.g. http://www.sleepytom.com/PAW/PAW2.asp?i=1203
will show the picture with index number 1203).  The html is generated "on
the fly" by Active Server Pages scripting.

This might be more complicated than you were looking for, but if you are
willing to learn a little programming it isn't too hard.  You can start by
going to www.4guysfromrolla.com .  This saves me from having to generate a
new html page for every photo.  It also allows me to do things like rotate
images and quotations on my front page (http://www.sleepytom.com/).  Once
you learn how to do this you can really start being creative with it.

Tom Smart